http://i42.tinypic.com/vqi5xx.png


Thursday 15 March 2012

Mothers day butterfly red velvet cupcakes!


Since it's mothers day this Sunday, I decided to bake some cupcakes with my daughter!
I decided to go for red velvet cupcakes. I have never made these before, but found it so easy! I decorated with pink glittery butterflies and red cocoa frosting.
Here's the recipe if your wanting to give it ago! 
What you'll need;
1 large mixing bowl, 1 small bowl and one medium size bowl

Scales
12 hole muffin tin

12 cupcake cases
Mixer/whisk
Teaspoon


For the cakes;
60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g caster sugar
1 egg at room temperature
20g cocoa powder,sifted
2 tbsp red food coloring
150g plain flour
140ml buttermilk
2tsp baking powder
4tsp white wine vinegar


For the frosting
8oz butter
160oz icing sugar


and any decorations you require.
I really love my new mixing bowl! its huuuuge!
Here's the cupcake cakes I went for. Pink with butterflies on them! The one mistake I made was using  bigger then average cases and you'll see why it didn't work later on.
Firstly you need to preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line your muffin tin with cases.


Add the butter and caster sugar together with an electric mixer or whisk until creamy and fluffy.
Add the egg and whisk away for another minute.



In a separate bowl mix the cocoa powder and food coloring together with a teaspoon.
Add this to the cake mix until incorporated.

Your mix should be looking like this!

At this stage add the flour and buttermilk and mix for  2 minutes, then add the baking powder and vinegar and mix for a further 2 minutes.
What the mix should now look like.
Now it is time to scoop the cake mix into the cases. I made a mistake of adding too little to the cases, as these are extra large! opps! Mistakes noted for next time..
Bake the cakes for 25 minutes.

Whilst there baking away and smelling Delicious, I like to wash up and then make a start on the frosting. I use silver spool icing sugar and butter.

Mixing both ingredients together until you are left with a lovely fluffy butter cream.

I added cocoa to mine for extra sweetness 
and 2 tsp of red food coloring!

The cakes are done! as you can see the cupcake cases are way to big and over towering the cakes, slight error there but they will still be tasty!

I added the butter cream once the cakes had cooled down by swirling them on with a knife.
and added a pretty icing butterfly! :)
And there we go! So easy. Lovely treats for mothers day! My daughter had so much fun making them with me, and even more fun eating them! I'll leave you with a few more pictures of my creations, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Lauren x








2 comments:

Monika said...

Love this post! They look yummy, did you make the butterflies? if so how? xx

Lauren ♥ said...

No I ordered them off a cake shop :) x